Fukushima Radiation May Cause 1,300 Cancer Deaths, Study Finds
Radiation from the Fukushima nuclear plant may cause as many as 1,300 cancer deaths globally, according to a study that showed fallout from [Tepco’s] crippled reactors may be deadlier than predicted.
The March 2011 nuclear disaster may cause as many as 2,500 cases of cancer, mostly in Japan, Stanford University scientists said.
Cancer cases may have been at least 10 times greater if the radiation hadn’t mostly fallen in the sea, said Mark Z. Jacobson, co-author of the first detailed analysis of the event’s global health effects.
Title: Global health impacts of the Fukushima nuclear disaster calculated
Date: July 17, 2012
“There are groups of people who have said there would be no effects,” said Jacobson.
A month after the disaster, the head of the United Nations Science Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation, for example, predicted that there would be no serious public health consequences resulting from the radiation.
Jacobson stressed, however, that none of the calculations expressed the full scope of a nuclear disaster.
“There’s a lot more to the issue than what we examined, which were the cancer-related health effects,” he said. “Fukushima was just such a large disaster in terms of soil and water contamination, displacement of lives, confidence in government oversight, cost and anguish.”
Some noteworthy statements in the Stanford study:
- “Mortalities from Fukushima may be less than Chernobyl by much more than an order of magnitude due to a lower total emission of radioactivity, lower radioactivity deposition rates over land, and more precautionary measures taken immediately following the Fukushima accident“
- “A total cold shutdown of the plant was achieved in December 2011″
- “Overall, radioactive emissions from Fukushima were roughly an order of magnitude lower than from Chernobyl”
For estimates using health model developed after Three Mile Island, see:
- Gundersen in Japan: 1,000,000 additional cancers from Fukushima over next 20 years — Based on university studies after Three Mile Island (1.5 HOUR VIDEO)
- Fairewinds: US news outlets said there’s “no threat to health” from Fukushima… The opposite of what all the studies say about radiation and cancer (VIDEO)
- Independent: Why Fukushima is worse than Chernobyl; “Now the truth is coming out” — 72,000 times worse than Hiroshima & 1 million+ cancer deaths, says professor August 29, 2011
- Worse than radioactive rain? After Fukushima, fallout was suspended near Earth’s surface without settling down, says new study — “Potentially a health risk, especially for children as they breathe closer to ground” April 25, 2012
- Strange TV interview with pro-nuclear professor on study finding increased infant mortality in US after Fukushima (VIDEO) January 25, 2012
- Study finds Fukushima worse than Chernobyl on bird population — “Dramatically” elevated DNA mutation rates and extinctions — Insect life significantly reduced — Shows immediate consequence of radiation February 2, 2012
- MD: Infant deaths also up in B.C., Canada after Fukushima — Corroborates U.S. study (VIDEO) December 22, 2011
- Nuclear Expert: Fukushima risk underestimated — 5% of young girls will get cancer living in 20 milliSv/y for 5 years — “Actually worse than that” — Hot particles NOT included & only counts cancers, not other effects (VIDEO) January 18, 2012
- Study Author: California iodine-131 probably double or triple what we reported April 5, 2012
- MSNBC: Fukushima radiation “much higher than expected” says biologist — Negative effects to happen quicker than at Chernobyl… and be worse April 20, 2012
- FORUM: Alternative Energy — Converting to clean, renewable energy sources April 29, 2012
- New Goddard’s Journal: Landmark study presents “strongest evidence to date that cancer risk not only exists at low doses of radiation, but may be even greater per unit of dose than at higher doses” (VIDEO, 16 min.) May 15, 2012